WHAT TO DO ABOUT SUSPECTED NURSING HOME ABUSE OR NEGLECT
OUR ATTORNEYS HELP PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF YOUR LOVED ONE
Your loved one is in a nursing home, and you think something is wrong. You’ve noticed new injuries or a dramatic change in your loved one’s behavior or condition. You suspect abuse or neglect by a staff member, but you aren’t sure. What should you do? The nursing home negligence attorneys at Deratany & Kosner urge you to take the following steps:
- Talk to your loved one about what you’ve noticed. If a staff member is in the room, demand to speak to your loved one in private. Ask your loved one if there is anything you should know. Keep in mind that he or she may be too frightened or embarrassed to talk about it.
- Talk to other residents at the facility, especially any roommates or friends of your loved one. Ask if they have noticed any abusive behavior or neglect.
- Document your loved one’s injuries or condition. Take photos of any bruises or other visible signs of abuse. Write down any other changes you’ve noticed (such as weight loss, or changes in behavior).
- Ask to speak to a manager at the nursing home to discuss your concerns. Request an explanation. Make a record of the response you receive.
- Have an independent doctor evaluate your loved one.
- Report the suspected abuse or neglect. In Illinois, you can call the 24-hour Adult Protective Services Hotline at 866-800-1409, or 888-206-1327 (TTY).
- Consider moving your loved one to another facility, even if it’s temporary.
TALK TO A LAWYER EXPERIENCED IN NURSING HOME ABUSE AND NEGLECT CASES
If you suspect your loved one is being abused or neglected in a nursing home, it’s important to speak with a nursing home negligence lawyer. An experienced lawyer can protect the rights of your loved one and ensure that he or she remains healthy and safe.
Deratany & Kosner has been standing up for the rights of seniors in Chicago for more than 15 years. Seniors are often in frail health and may feel helpless when they are abused or neglected. Our attorneys are very passionate about fighting for nursing home residents who have been subjected to abuse or neglect.
Nursing homes and staff members typically deny that any abuse or neglect has been going on. In some cases, facility management may not be aware of the abusive actions of a staff member. In others, they are aware but try to hide the abuse and handle it themselves. Or they won’t admit that the facility is poorly run or understaffed, resulting in the neglect of residents.
Our legal team knows where to look for evidence of abuse and neglect. We know what documents to review, which witnesses to question, and what experts to consult. Our goal is to put a stop to the abuse or neglect of your loved one. We also work to hold nursing homes and staff members accountable.
Our attorneys can also help you take legal action to recover damages. In general, nursing home residents who are abused or neglected can seek compensation for medical expenses, emotional distress, pain and suffering and other damages. This also sends a message to nursing homes that abuse and neglect will not be tolerated.
If you suspect a loved one has been the victim of abuse or neglect in a nursing home, talk to one of our attorneys to protect your loved one’s rights. Contact Deratany & Kosner at 800-529-7285. We offer a free case consultation.