LAWYERS WHO FIGHT TO PUT A STOP TO NURSING HOME ABUSE
THE ABUSE OF SENIORS IS NEVER ACCEPTABLE
When you move your loved one into a nursing home, you have certain expectations. You expect that the staff will take of your loved one’s needs and watch over his or her health. You expect they will treat your loved one with dignity and respect. Unfortunately, that’s not always true. Sometimes residents aren’t treated the way they should be. When seniors are abused at nursing homes, our nursing home negligence attorneys at Deratany & Kosner know how to hold them accountable.
Nursing homes must follow a wide range of federal and state regulations created to prevent residents from being subject to abuse. The state of Illinois defines abuse as “any physical or mental injury or sexual assault inflicted on a resident other than by accidental means in a facility.”
What can be considered nursing home abuse? Different types include:
- Hitting with a hand or an object
- Pushing, shoving or kicking
- Burning (for example, with a lit cigarette)
- Putting the resident in restraints without cause
- Yelling, shouting or screaming
- Insulting, belittling or ridiculing
- Ignoring a resident
- Threatening a resident with physical harm
- Blaming or scapegoating a resident
- Isolating a resident from social activities or friends
- Terrorizing or menacing
- Sexual assault
- Unwanted and inappropriate touching
- Sexual harassment
- Forcing a resident to undress
- Showing a resident sexually explicit material
- Stealing money or belongings from a resident
- Unauthorized use of a resident’s checkbook or credit card
- Forging a resident’s signature on financial documents
- Stealing a resident’s identity
The abuse of residents in nursing homes is illegal and never acceptable. Residents deserve to be treated with respect at all times. But many are too frail or too frightened to protect themselves from abuse. The attorneys at Deratany & Kosner are passionate about standing up for the rights of nursing home residents and protecting their health and dignity.
WE TAKE NURSING HOME ABUSE CASES SERIOUSLY
When our firm hears about a resident being abused, we take action. First, we take steps to put a stop to the abuse and make sure your loved one is safe. Second, we work to hold the abuser responsible. Third, we can help you pursue legal action to help your loved one recover damages (financial compensation).
Our attorneys have been fighting nursing home abuse for more than 15 years. We know how to build a strong case that gets results. Our legal team will conduct a thorough investigation into what happened to your loved one. We’ll review all related documentation, including medical records and staff member histories. We’ll talk to everyone who may have witnessed the abuse.
Abuse can take a significant toll on a resident’s physical, emotional and mental health. Nobody deserves to be treated that way. Our attorneys take cases involving the abuse of a nursing home resident seriously. We believe a strong message needs to be sent to nursing homes to hold them accountable and to prevent such abuse from ever happening again.
If your loved one has been abused in a nursing home, contact Deratany & Kosner at 800-529-7285 to speak to one of our attorneys. We offer a free case consultation.